So here I am, months after my friend shows me the wonders of Maildir and a decent IMAP server, and now some of the wonder is disappearing. Why? Well, I now have certain folders that take my web mail interface literially minutes to open. And searching for a certain message just from two weeks ago takes forever. So I need a way of archiving my mail. My old way was to simply zip up Eudora, reinstall it, and put my filters and settings back into place. That worked well assuming I wanted to unzip and run a program any time I needed something out of the archive.

I'd prefer some way of just having a program run monthly that tosses all the mail into an archive folder with the month and year. I'd also like it to keep the existing folder structure at the time. I've seen some promising things, but nothing that quite does everything I need. The other solution would be a time consuming (for both me and the server) script to do it, but I assume someone else with maildir formatted mail has needed this as well.

And as a side mail question, anyone know how to get procmail to scan a folder of messages and filter it?