Okay, so I'm an idiot and told a friend I'd help out his girlfriend develop some web goop for her thesis/dissertation/whatever. So I keep stumbling onto HTTP/HTML/browser issues that I have no experience with.

That was a preface to this post and probably the next dozen or so I'll start.

So this problem is that she needs a browser to pop open a new window that has no toolbar decoration. I've figured that out, in that the link now looks like
<A HREF="newpage.html"

TARGET="popup"
ONCLICK="window.open('newpage.html',
'popup',
'toolbar=no,width=620,height=450');
return false"
>New Page</A>
This all works fine under Mozilla, but when I try it on IE, the browser refuses to send a Referer: header when requesting newpage.html, which is a requirement for the rest of the project. Getting rid of that requirement will cause me to basically redo the whole thing, and this is very close to the final part of the project. In fact, if it comes to that, I'll tell her she's gonna get the toolbar anyway, and just throw a TARGET="_blank" in there.

I feel certain that JavaScript is bound to give me some way to tell it to send a Referer: header, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I've seen some implications that it's possible to pass a referer via the URI, but I can't find any docs on how to do that. If I can do that, that would be fine (as the URL text area will be hidden along with the rest of the toolbar). This might be in reference to PHP, though, but I can probably force that to work, too.

Edited by wfaulk (01/08/2002 20:46)