I would like to be convinced that a subwoofer will be worth the loss of space in the boot, but experience has shown me otherwise. So far.

Whether or not I could convince you depends more on how important your music is to you than how your music sounds.

If, like the great majority of car owners, you have music in your car because it's better than just listening to silence or road noise, then you don't need a subwoofer. I make no assertion that there is anything wrong with this point of view. Even though it is not my outlook, it is perfectly valid.

If, on the other hand, your music is important, nay, essential to your driving enjoyment, then you need a subwoofer. Not a big box full of 12" subs cranked up to the max -- a single 10" in a sealed enclosure will give your music a warmth, a presence, an ambience that you just can't get any other way.

No amount of proselytizing on my part will convince you of this, so I'll stop now. But if there's any way you can manage it, find someone with a really good sounding, properly tuned, competition quality stereo in his car, and listen to it. Then, turn off the subwoofer(s) and listen again. You will be astounded by the difference.

tanstaafl.