[Spoken like Oakland (CA)].

Now this I didn't know

It seems to depend a bit on the speaker... my kiwi cousins make it sound a bit like "Ockland", but my aunt, despite 30 years living in the city, retains enough Surrey accent to give it the full value of "Orkland".

Mind you, I'm only assuming here that Oakland, CA, is pronounced the way it's spelt.

The BBC famously tied themselves in linguistic knots over the James Bulger case a few years ago: Bulger's parents have profound Liverpool accents, and so pronounce the name with the u sound of "bull". For a while BBC newsreaders religiously repeated this, despite all having southern accents in which it should get the u sound of "bulb". (Liverpudlian cannot easily distinguish those two u sounds -- Bulgur, Bulgaria, bulb and bull all have the longer sound.) Eventually the BBC pronunciation unit realised how daft it sounded, and they fell into line with other news organisations. The point is, sometimes saying a word exactly the way the natives do isn't correct unless the rest of your speech uses the same accent they do -- try asking for directions to "Doodloy" in Birmingham and they'll assume you're taking the mick.

Peter