Quote:
First let me comment on one thing before I get to the finale: the two-part mirror universe story. Or should I say "story"? What the hell was that?

It was simply defining the sharp turning point in the Mirror Universe where the capture/recovery of the mislocated USS Defiant, some 400 years, and an entire universe out of place, causes the entire existing Imperial power structure to be overturned, and the dog eat dog scramble for personal power, a key element of the M.U., gets into full swing.

That they did those episodes complete with opening titles unique to the M.U. is the first clue that the story is spearate from the Trek Universe. I saw it cold, no spoilers. There was much to puzzle over during the watching.

The Trek Universe characters are missing is because they arn't needed for that particular story. That seems to place this story at a time before the Trek Universe had become aware of the Mirror Universe. Given that the trekkies can't appear with their doubles. If they had this episode might have turned into a remake of Kirk's encounter. This way is a much better story. IMHO it stands as one of the better Enterprise shows.

As to why Enterprise sucked. The whole Zindi story line tried to be a SciFi soap opera. Casual viewers arn't going to pick up plot lines that take 5-10 episodes to develop. The twists that fans enjoy are missed out of ignorance. It's ok to have a season long plot line but each episode needs to have a story of it's own. The series could have also used a few more truly melodramatic villans. Heros just can't show their stuff without em.