I'm not generally a big techno kind of guy. And don't fault me for my terminology here -- there are more terms and subterms in this area of music than, I think, there are bugs in the universe.

Anyway, most of what I've been exposed to I haven't really found that entertaining, as I'm also not a dancin' kind of guy, and a lot of that general category of music is pure repetition, which just isn't interesting for 5 minutes at a time if I'm not boucing off the walls with a lot of amphetamines in my system.

However, I bought the obviously techno Fight Club soundtrack (which I should have listed in our soundtrack discussion) a while back, and I really like it. But the Dust Brothers have only been producers before and after this, and very eclectic producers, at that, so I can't use that as a good reference. In addition, I don't know the proper terminology to reference it, and AMG constantly talks about how these terms are rather amorphous, anyway.

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some similar stuff. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, even outside techno cant, but I can tell you that I do like the fact that it changes. It's still largely repetitious, as all techno (and, really, all music) is, but it kinda swirls around itself more than most I've heard. I also like its dark, brooding quality; I'm not really interested very much in happy dance music, but if you think of something specific in that vein that might appeal to me anyway, based on other things I've said, let me know. That is, don't take the darkness as a hard and fast criterion.

So, any takers? Samples would be appreciated.