Untrue (at least your example). From Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources for a New Century (PDF), page 14 (edit: that's page 14 as marked at the bottom of the page; it's page 26 of the PDF file), right column:
Indeed, the United States has for decades sought to play a more permanent role in Gulf regional security. While the unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the immediate justification, the need for a substantial American force presence in the Gulf transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein.
Remember that the article was translated from German, and the quotes in the article were translated from English first, so the exact language is going to be different.

The PDF file I link was referenced as ``RAD'' in a link at the very end of the section before the one that contains the quote you quoted.

The one thing I can't seem to find anywhere is where Dick Cheney signed this paper. He's certainly part of the organization (along with Jeb Bush, for you conspiracists), but I can't see his name directly associated with this particular paper.

Edited by wfaulk (12/03/2003 09:46)