I've got a new 120GB Maxtor Drive.

I used it to upgrade one of my TiVos with a larger disk.

Now it worked fine in the Tivo [booted and ran],
but I forgot to enable to BAsh prompt so yanked it out to mount the disk on a PC and run it up under MFSTools 2.0 boot CD.

Now, the drive refuses to unlock - I've tried "qunlock" and once it appeared to work [showed up as 120GB drive in my Bios], but not since.

My Bios shows its stuck at 9MB in size and no matter what I've tried it won't unlock.
Even put it back in the Tivo, thinking that might fix it, but no such Luck, Tivo boot prom reports "Err4" when it tries to unlock it and of course can't boot off it.
The disk that was in the Tivo before works fine.

I suspect the unlock command has accidentally locked the drive with some unknown key and thats that.

So, is there anyway to "unlock" such a locked drive? I don't care if it erases the contents or whatever as right now the Disk has nothing on it I can't put back.

Its more a nuisance as otherwise I have to return the drive to the local supplier and get them to understand whats wrong with it, and hope they'll give me a replacement unit without too much hassle/cost. If not I've got a useless 120GB drive.

I've checked the drive out in PowerMax software, but it stays stuck a 9MB in size but PowerMax says its all ok.

Any ideas anyone?

The drive is a Maxtor Diamondplus9 120GB disk made in Dec2002 according to the label on it.