Assuming the Architect is correct or isn't lying, Morpheus is wrong about more than just a date. He's got the whole purpose of Zion wrong and probably the history of humanity too.
This is true, but that wasn't my question. I did say that I understood the Architect scene. I thought it was a great twist

"No-one really knows for sure". if the matrix has been continually re-booting, then humans have actually lost track of the outside world.
Yes, I realize that. I know that Morpheus would have no way of knowing this, due to the continuous reconstruction of Zion. I was just trying to estimate what the year actually is. If each itteration of the Matrix is about 100-120 years, then 6 itterations would mean that the machines have been in control for at least 700 years, possibly even 1000.

My thought about the possibility that it is always 1999 is this: I can believe that the Matrix could construct memory as well, but how long is the time frame? Is it the same day every day? Does the year 1999 keep repeating? Well, I can believe that, but I would think that would go against what the Architect said. Wouldn't that be a sort of "reboot"? If people age every year, they would have to have some sort of new identity at the beginning of each year, which would have to make their memories change.

I don't know, perhaps there isn't an answer to this question. I thought there might be, but I'll take it on a leap of faith. I don't care about the whole battery thing, because that's nit-picking in my view.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (09/06/2003 07:11)