I'm not saying the Mac is for everyone. There are significant UI problems with Aqua. My biggest one is the fact that titlebars can't be resized. Making all of an application's windows rise to the top when one of them is clicked is another. But I think Windows has more; they're just different ones.

At the same time, you can't just decide that you don't like MacOS X just because it doesn't work exactly like Windows. That's the benefit. Just because you've gotten used to doing something in an awkward manner doesn't mean that's the right way to do it. It's hard to have a good first impression with something new when you're reasonably expert at the old thing, because you always want there to be just superficial differences, and that's just not the case.

Of course, the big problem is that it's virtually impossible to test drive MacOS X, since you need Apple hardware to do it, and that's a big investment. Trying to do it in the store is hardly ideal, either.

Actually, I think most of the Apple retail stores have a ``Getting Started on the Mac'' free class every Saturday morning, if you're interested enough to do that. I have no idea what it entails, but it might be worth checking out.

Edited by wfaulk (29/06/2003 16:12)