dbrashear:
>(* I seem to have a good memory for music, as long as there's
>no music playing that I can hear, but I have no ability to manage
>the spatial separation in my head, so it's all in mono. Very bizarre.)

This is pretty interesting. As a trained musician with a rather sharp memory for tunes, I'm in the same situation as you regarding hearing music in my head. But I NEVER noticed if it was mono or stereo before! Come to think of it, I think it IS all mono.

The only exception is when I'm very tired and, actually, falling asleep while working late at night. As my brain begins to release control of my body, snipits of full stereo, rich, lush sound and music may waft through my head. It's as if I had headphones for just a half of a second. It's times like that when I realize that all the music I conciously think of is always rather bland.

Perhaps this stereo-while-falling-asleep scenario has some similarity to how lush dreams feel and how flat and boring the world feels when you wake up. Can you tell I dream with all 5 senses and am very interested in how it all works?

All I have to say is, please don't let me dream again about those damn lobster insects crawling on my ceiling. Ok, so there were only two of them, and one got fed to my dog, but it was still annoying.