I've been driving happily with my Mk2 empeg for almost 3 years now (!!), but it appears that I'm having increasingly annoying problems due to the known-flakey connectors on the back of the sled. This has led to everything from popping speakers to the headlight sensing wire not working. I can usually pull the stereo, stick my hand in, and fidget with the wires. This will fix it for a day or two, then it all starts again.

Now, if it were easy to disassemble my dashboard, I'd just pull it out and drop in the Mk2a sled I got along with my spare empeg. However, it looks to be somewhere between annoying and amazingly difficult to pull this off. It looks like the BMW Z3 center console is a single piece going all the way down to the armrest. Yuck.

So, what I'm looking for is:

- a (hopefully non-destructive) way to extract my current sled, which seems to be precariously attached only at the top front corner, anyway. I can't seem to get a screwdriver in well enough to pry back the tabs holding the sled in place.

- some hope that I can shove the new sled inside and get it locked down, only pushing the tabs with a screwdriver or something.

Alternatively, if anybody has an pointers on how to disassemble a BMW Z3 dashboard, I'd appreciate it. I've dug all around the normally useful MZ3 site as well as forums. Nothing about how to do it. Is this something I really want to attempt, or should I just pay a stereo installer to do it?