OK, Heather. Since you took time to rebut me so thoroughly, I'm going to counter some of your points (see the other post about not knowing when discretion is the better part of valor; that's me!).

>>> All standards of common decency often get checked at the door.

While I certainly don't check mine at the door, I've been to enough dealerships (~100 over 26 years, buying ~20 cars) to know that some people do that. But your assumption that they wouldn't adopt that attitude elsewhere may be false; I see the same rude people hassling store clerks & McDonalds' counter workers.

>>> Do people tell you every day how much money you're entitled to make?

Not every day, just twice a year at review time.
Can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to dictate your profit; I'm saying "Here's what it's worth to me. If you think you can hold out and get more for it, by all means do." I have more respect for a dealer who sends me packing (like Lexus did), then one that jerks me around (like Toyota did).

>>> Oh wait, I forgot, places like jewelers, clothing stores and optometrists are entitled to 200-400% markup on their product without argument.

Uh, survey says [insert BUZZER noise]. Example: Recently bought my girlfriend $9375 worth of jewelry. Paid <$4000. Does that mean the pieces were cheap, or worse, she's not worth paying more for? Of course not. It just means I'm cheap and don't always agree that what you're selling is worth as much to me as you think it should be worth to me.

>>> You want a professional? Pay for one.

This, I can totally get behind. I just happen to not need one. But back in the days I did, they were still hard to find.

>>> Do you interrogate anyone else you deal with for wearing an expensive watch? I didn't think so.

Doesn't matter what kind of saleperson you are, I'll admit it makes me think in the back of my mind: "She must've gotten that by jacking some customers. She should dial back the ostentation." But I wouldn't say it out loud; that would be rude!

>>> LEATHER INTERIORS AND SUNROOFS ARE NOT NEEDS THEY ARE WANTS

Which is why neither of my cars has either. Of course, when I walked into an Audi dealership seeking a car without them, they laughed and asked for $2000 before they'd use their locater to find one so equipped. "What, do you think, we do that for our health?" (Instead, I special-ordered -- at no extra charge -- a BMW from the factory w/cloth interior, no cruise control, manual A/C, no sunroof, and no folding seats. Of course, the sport package was an absolute must-have.)

>>> who are probably decent people before and after they walk through the door

As I'm sure you and (some of) your staff are, as well.