A car can be an excellent listening environment IF PROPERLY CONFIGURED for the very reasons you cite as making it a poor environment.

Yeah, Henno, I gotta go with Doug on this one. It depends on the car and the stereo system, but in some cases, the car can be a better listening environment than a living room.

For me, the biggest advantage to listening in the car is the fact that I can concentrate more directly on the music when I'm driving. If I'm at home, it's hard to just sit there and listen, I always end up doing something else at the same time and not listening closely. When I'm driving, I am already occupied on a focused task (watching the road, etc.), leaving the other 75% of my brain in the perfect state to absorb the music properly.

When I consider how much time I spend on the road every day, it makes sense to spend the money on a really good car stereo system. I'm especially happy since I traded my GTI in on an Accord, and the car interior is so much quieter and makes for an even better listening environment.

is a comparison between 128 and 192 Kbps similar to a comparison between the original Rush CDs and the re-masters?

While I know that you'd have no trouble distinguishing 128 from 192 for certain material, the comparison is not quite like the original/remaster thing. The differences in bitrates are more subtle than the obvious improvements made on those remasters, and they're different kinds of differences, if you know what I mean.

Doug, have you discussed this topic with the CE at your radio station?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144