Have you tried opening an Apple airport up? It is a PCMCIA Lucent WaveLAN adapter.

I'm way ahead of you, Roger.

If you open up the Airport, you'll find that there's a Lucent PCMCIA card, and a small Elan-based controller. As it happens, that controller is running a version of the KarlBridge software. The board has serial (for the modem daughtercard) and ethernet interfaces, and a PCMCIA slot for the WaveLan card. The problem is that the software is the Access Point code, so it runs as the network "Master."

Access points won't talk to other access points over the air, the assumption is that there's a wired backbone that you're accessing.

The Ethernet Converter that I linked to earlier looks like the same controller, but running different software. It's designed to be a simple bridge for a single node, and runs the WaveLan card in client mode. It will roam among base stations, and generally act like any machine with a WaveLan card, but allows you to connect things like empegs that have neither PCI or PCMCIA slots.

If I read the marketing-speak correctly, there's also a telnet interface to the serial port, which would be very useful with an empeg.

The problem is that it's expensive. The best price I've seen is $272, and that's without the WaveLan card, so I'm looking at $450 to add 802.11 to the empeg.

If there's a way to abuse an AirPort for this purpose then I'll happily pop for one for the car.

Now, I know that Hugo has one, but he's letting the car be the backbone network. That would work if the MP3 library was on an AirPort connected client, which I could switch to the "car network", but the library is currently on the Linux server. (72GB RAID-0 )

Hmmm... I guess I could put an AirPort card in the G4 and run IPNetRouter...

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.