As to ripping while driving: the empeg doesn't have enough memory to stash a track in memory, therefore having to write continously to disk while ripping.
There's a reason that the disks are mounted read-only and kept spun down as much as possible during normal operation...

Besides, tagging by picking letters with the buttons, the knob, the remote and/or a combination of them isn't something I'd like to do. A local (on empeg) freedb copy has to be kept up to date to be useful (at least if you buy recent releases...). If I still have to connect to a computer to tag the tracks or sync a freedb db, then I might as well rip the CD there as well - on a machine with a lot more horsepower and a net connection.

If you're in a hurry to hear tracks of a CD in the car, I'd say the best solution is to also install a CD deck. If not indash, then maybe in the glove compartment - or toss a portable CD player in the glove compartment...

As to controlling a CD changer - doable if you can reverse engineer (or obtain the info somewhere) the communication protocol for the changer you intend to use...

/Michael