Ok, I took a position in Tunis, Tunisia to do some finance work for an NGO. I have since been put in charge of maintaining their entire network for the country. What I have is about 30 computers in a lab that students use that I need to make uniform and secure.

They are all on the same domain and all the students login under the same user name. I have a profile on the server (running MS 2000 server I think) that I thought would only allow the files in that profile to be on the users desktop. However the computers do not have those files when logged in under that user name. Also to log in that user takes more than five minutes, and I know that it shouldn’t take that long.

All of the “workstations” are running XP and they all can see the domain controller or the main server in this case. They are all on the same domain, and they all have SP2.

I have no idea where to start reading. I have looked on the MS website, but I still haven’t learned what to look for. If anyone can suggest resources I (and the citizens of this fine country) will be very thankful.

I just need a little help getting started. I haven’t really had any training in this area, I have only learned to manage problems as they arise. That hasn’t been a very effective solution so far.