I've got this crazy idea that, since my modem is an internal PCI voice-enabled modem, that I should be able to place voice telephone calls with it.

Without needing an actual telephone.

In other words... If I have speakers and a microphone connected to my sound card, and the modem connected directly to Ma Bell, I should be able to...

- Open up Microsoft Phone Dialer
- Enter a phone number
- Hear "Ring Ring... Hello?" coming out of my PC speakers.
- Begin my conversation by speaking into the mic plugged into my sound card.

Everything *seems* to be in order for doing this. As far as I can tell from the help file on Microsoft Phone Dialer, all is working. The device driver for the modem clearly shows in its name that it's a voice-modem, there are no yellow boo-boo icons, the volume controls are all ungrayed unmuted and turned up, I can hear my own voice through the PC speakers when I speak into the microphone, etc. The modem works fine for detecting a dial tone, dialing, detecting a busy signal, connecting to the internet, etc.

I just can't hear the "Ring Ring... Hello?" or any other telephone-line sounds coming from the modem.

Anyone have any idea where things are going wrong in this equation? Microsoft's knowledge base has been sadly unable to give me any hints as to what's going wrong.