Quote:
Yes, If you've got to factor an amp and speakers into each position your costs will quickly rise. One of the good things about the Rio Receiver was the built in amp. What would you use? Decent self powered speakers aren't cheap, and if you're looking at buying a micro-system to plug it into then you might as just use that. A multi-zone system sounds far more cost effective.

Bedroom - Mac mini running through an old Kenwood Amp, with the B postsrunning speakers (soon to be) built into the walls in the ensuite. This is a compromise as I can't control audio from the ensuite, or at least I haven't found a cheap solution yet (PDA isn't water proof )

Living Room - Will run via spare digital input on my surround amp, cable already run from TV location back to amp to take the audio.

Kitchen - Use a until now disused set of PC speakers, with a sub. Sounds better than any kitchen radio I have ever heard!

Tenants Rooms - Up to them, there is a Cat5 running to their room for internet, and they can stream my music collection if they wish. As well as a spare for voice if they want to pay for their own line putting in there is no need to run cables.

See, I have it all planned out, Slim's devices are just what I need as I don't need to buy anything else apart from the units themselves

Andy is right, I do have wireless, but I fitted 24 Cat5e sockets around the house (most can't be seen!) all wired back to my own mini comms room, although this may seem a little overkill, I don't trust wireless lans. I am not sure of the average US house size, but mine is 90m2 (ish) I think that will be small compared to the US, so 24 covers most areas of the house.

I don't see the point in multi room dist systems, they are expensive, and are no where near as flexible as having them run off an open source server, I mean isn't that what all empeggers would see as an ideal platform?

I notice they are not shipping until the eand of March, so I guess I will have to wait a while.

Cheers

Cris.