Given the new baby and all, we have to be able to get up at strange hours of the night to change diapers, and this requires having enough ambient light to avoid bumping into anything. However, where a normal night light does that job, we also need enough light to illuminate the aforementioned baby, so you can tell when you've got things, umm, sufficiently clean.

Gadget freak that I am, it would seem that what we need is:

- a floor-standing lamp (easy to move around as we continue dorking with the room arrangement)
- with a dimmer (so we can tune it to a desirable brightness level)
- that isn't very hot (to avoid any unpleasant burning sensations in the aforementioned middle of the night)

It looks like I can satisfy #1 and #3 with a floor-standing LED lamp (such as this one), but those don't appear to have dimmers on them. Are dimmers and LED lamps mutually exclusive? I suppose they could always just blink them fast enough, or only turn a fraction of the bulbs on, but I don't know if anybody actualy does that in a lamp. Another possibility is the standard "torchiere" halogen floor lamp, I suppose, although I'd rather be able to illuminate the changing table without lighting up the whole world around it.

Thoughts?