Hi all,

I'm currently busy converting some old VHS tapes to DivX. To be able to do this, I bought a Plextor ConvertX PVR device. (great device BTW, recommended!)

I do this in two steps: I first digitize the tape into an .mpg file, and then I run that file with the DivX creation software. This works very will with the software that was provided with the Plextor unit.

However, going about it this way does mean that I have to stay with my VCR to be able to stop it at the appropriate moment, since there is no software shipped with the Plextor to actually split that .mpg file into smaller files. (I need this since there's usually more that one movie/series on one tape)

So now I'm looking for some free video editor software which can do the following:
* load up an .mpg file (of an entire 4 hr tape)
* split up the .mpg file into 2 or more separate files (depending on how many movies/series were recorded into those 4 hrs)
* delete split sections which I don't need (commercials etc.)
* save all these new sections into new separate .mpg files.

I can then put all these files into my DivX creator batch list, and let them being created over night.

I don't think that what I'm asking for is very difficult, and suspect that even the simplest programs will be able to do this. However, I'm completely new when it comes to this, and I have no idea where to look.

Could somebody point me towards a nice, clean and simple programa which can do this please?

Thanks!