Quote:

Whatever you do however, do not place tweeters at ear level.

That may be an over-generalization...

I have component speakers in my dash, facing upwards and firing into the windshield. In the left/right corners of the dash are 4.5" / 1" separates; and in the center is a 4" / .625" co-axial speaker. The .625" tweeter is titanium; the 1" tweeters are silk. During the installation we had to remove the windshield in order to mount the dash speakers.

The corner speakers have their own dedicated amplifier, as does the center channel. (The remaining speaker pairs: Doors, Subwoofers, and Roof (station wagon, way in the back)) also each have their own amplifiers. See attached) and the input gain of each amplifier is controlled individually by motorized voltage splitters controlled by rocker switches in the center arm rest.

Now, if this next part sounds like I'm bragging, it's because I am. Nearly everybody that I have ever demoed the stero for has said that it without question the best sounding car stereo they have ever heard. My staging and imaging is fantastic, and the silk-dome tweeters are not at all tiring. All of the sound seems to be emanating from about halfway up the windshield, even the sound from the subwoofers and roof speakers in the back of the car. If I want to brighten the sound, I just increase the gain on the center channel with the titanium tweeter, and I can make it like ice picks in your ears. (I don't do that except as a demonstration)

With the proper components and a lot attention paid to mounting position and vehicle acoustics, you can indeed put your tweeters near ear level.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
287503-SHOST16%87.JPG (109 downloads)