Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Even so, best to get it checked out.

Agreed.

It's either it's a big endorsement for the empeg board or an indictment of the health care industry that he chose to seek help for a scary vision problem here before visiting a doctor

Actually, I didn't find the experience scary- just annoying. As it was clearing up I had no question that things would get back to normal and all I had to do was 'ride it out'.

'Hey, what's with this?'

Asking the empeggers was more a query along the lines of 'fun things you didn't know about your body'. Kind of like when I learned about sleep paralysis, which I was very happy to know more about.

At any rate, yes, I'll continue a line of professional analysis, but I'm not shaking in my boots worrying about an imaginary brain hemorrhage.

edit:
Ah- here comes the science..
Quote:
When the activity of nerve cells is depressed, there is impairment of function in the part of the body controlled by these cells. For example, there may be a loss of vision or of strength. Increased activity of brain nerve cells may result in flashing lights or tingling in the face and hand. In the experiments with animals, the depression of nerve cell activity slowly spreads beyond the initial spot of stimulation. This phenomenon is called spreading depression. It is preceded by a wave of increased nerve cell activity.

This slowly spreading depression of nerve cell activity is believed to account for the pattern of development of the typical aura. In the migraine aura, symptoms build up gradually and move slowly from one visual region or one part of the body to another. For example, the migraine aura sufferer may first notice a black spot in the field of vision. This black spot is often surrounded by flashing lights or bright zig-zag lines. The size of the black spot gradually enlarges over a period of minutes. The combination of loss of vision (negative symptoms) with flashing lights or zig-zag lines (positive symptoms) is a typical and distinctive feature of migraine aura. The negative symptom (blacking out of vision) is due to depressed nerve activity; the positive visual symptoms are due to the zone of hyperactive nerve cells. In contrast, a sudden shutting off of blood supply to the brain (as might occur with a blood clot) causes a sudden loss of function. In this case, there is no gradual "march" of visual symptoms or numbness, and positive visual symptoms do not occur.

From this article, linked from the wikipedia entry.

The 'gradual vs. sudden' and 'positive and negative symptoms' explanation really nails this and has eased my worries.

Edited by Robotic (08/08/2007 18:42)