Originally Posted By: Boelle
well, how many parts can have gone out of the market?

Probably lots of them.
Originally Posted By: Boelle
of course it's a big work to put the player (with upgraded hardware) back in production, but at least we could make the pcb and schmatics, which does not cost a single penny if we use the tool i provided more early in this thread

again the hardest part must be construct the player software, but with all be guru's in here i dont think it's a problem, rather a matter of the time they have to do it

But why would any of us here want to do that ? I can think of only two reasons, one to sell to other people and two so that we had more players ourselves.

Empeg/Rio pretty much demonstrated that there isn't a big market for an expensive in car mp3 player. If you did another small production run of the empeg then you'd end up with an even more expensive product that the original empeg. So that is a non-starter.

As to the second reason, I'm a fairly sure that most if not all of us here have as many empegs as we need and if you want another one you only really have to wait a month for a very affordable one to appear on ebay or here. So why would any of us want to spend money on the most expensive empegs ever ?

I think you hugely underestimate the amount of effort that would be involved to recreate the player software with anything approaching the quality, reliability, performance and functionality of the existing empeg player software.

It is a real shame the player code wasn't open source or at least extensible, but it isn't. No one here is going to invest the many man years that would be involved to create a new player for the empeg that matched the existing one on the qualities I listed above. It would be different if the existing software wasn't very good, but it is excellent.

Sure the existing player could be improved on, but that would involve massive effort just to get to the point we are at now with the existing player, before you could start making those improvements. You could of course skip some of the existing player code. I don't have much use for the visualizations, I don't use the EQ, rear speakers, Wave files, Wendy filters and an bunch of other stuff. But then lots of other people do want and use those features, so if you wanted lots of people to use and test it for you you'd have to implement them all.