One of the simulation packages we use in my group at work has a moving target for the Linux distro/version that is required for each version of the software. The latest version 'requires' Red Hat (Enterprise or Workstation) Version 4 Update 5. I manage to get around that requirement by using CentOS and just using a RHEL /etc/redhat-release file (the contents of that file and the existance of rpm are two of the major things the install looks for, another is which packages are listed in ~root/anaconda-ks.cfg).

This was working great until earlier this week. We need to be able to record movies of the simulation to use during briefings. Previous versions of CentOS/RHEL I was able to finagle with and get xvidcap/gvidcap installed. Now, with this release I can't for some reason.

The latest version of xvidcap (1.1.7) requires the header dbus-glib-bindings.h, which Red Hat doesn't include. To try to install that requires a version of dbus that is greater than 1.1, and Red Hat only uses 0.2.2 or something. Since dbus is kind of important to the entire system, upgrading it isn't really an option (I had a spectacular failure trying this last week and ended up having to reinstall the system). The older versions of xvidcap (1.1.6 and 1.1.5) require the same header, and the old version that I managed to get working on older versions of the OS puke with all kinds of errors during compilation.

Does anybody have any suggestions on either a different distribution to try with a more modern version of dbus included (then I can dork around with trying to get the simulation installed as opposed to getting dbus upgraded), a different utility to create movies from what is appearing on the screen, or any suggestions on how to go about getting xvidcap installed by upgrading dbus?

Thanks again for all the help! This board is priceless.
Tim