I second the recommendation of hooking up with your bank's online bill paying features.

I do 100 percent of my bill paying with my bank's online features now. Whether the bank pays electronically or via paper, it doesn't matter, it's all just handled at their end. I opt for still receiving paper statements from all of my services because I like having the records, but I can still *pay* them online.

Paying bills and balancing my accounts is now a 30-minute procedure that I perform twice a month, instead of the gigantic hours-long hassle it used to be, back when I was a lad. I haven't licked a stamp or sealed an envelope in years.

And with the kind of account I've got with my bank, the bill pay feature is free. I had to do some slight modifications to my account to *make* it free (only certain classes of accounts have free bill-pay), but I was OK with those changes.

Edit: One thing that I don't do is have the services automatically *withdraw* their payments from me. It's an option with most of them, and it would certainly solve the specific problem you initially posted, so look into it and see if it's what you like. Me, I prefer to be the one who decides when they get paid.