Does anyone know how to take a hard drive image over a serial cable???

My friend needs help recovering a corrupt document from his word processing computer - an IBM XT clone from 1984. The machine has an RLL ~40 meg hard drive; incompatible with modern IDE, and with an odd ISA controller card. I extracted the drive's data using my trusty empeg serial cable and Lap Link 3 for DOS.

The corrupt document has 0xff was written to the first 3/4ths of the 1 meg file. So, I'd like to take a sector-by-sector image of the drive and search it for a deleted-but-intact version of the file. But serial cable is the only way I can see to get data off.

Is there any software for drive imaging over serial, which would run on an 8088 with 640k ram running DOS 3.3 (or higher, via boot disk?). Or is there a better way to search for a deleted file? Thankfully, WordPerfect files are nearly plain-text, so it should be easy to spot.

Thanks for any input. Until then, back to my hex editor to restore the partial file that I have.