Originally Posted By: tonyc
That's not a bad compromise, really. Still, even if this policy had come around when I was a Dreamhost customer, it wouldn't have been enough to keep me. Their other issues (overselling of the web servers themselves, infamously horrible support, and repeated billing SNAFUs) make them worth the $9/yr introductory price, but not nearly worth the $10/month it goes up to after the first year.

That said, their control panel was decent, and they were never hesitant to add things like ssh, subversion, video streaming, and AFP that other discount hosts weren't offering. So, for anyone just getting in the game, it's really not a bad place to start.

I think I agree with all of that.

Really, backups are all about risk. If you just backup to another drive in your computer or to an external drive, you risk losing data if the computer gets fried or your house burns down. I'm of the mind that if you're backing up online, there's little chance of both places losing all the data on the same day.

Personally, I use online backup and offsite backup. I take a hard disk to my folks' house every once and a while.

So basically, I don't mind that they won't back this stuff up. I think it's understandable.