I just sent a puzzler idea to Car Talk and since they probably won't use it (too simple, perhaps?) I thought I'd give you guys a crack at it. No, I don't mean that I think you guys are simple minded... smile It's just a fun little mind-teaser.

===========================================================
Yesterday I drove my new car, a Honda Fit, from San Jose to Reno and back, a round-trip distance of 500 miles. On the outbound leg, according to the mileage gauge I got 43.5 MPG. I didn't reset the gauge for the return trip, and when I arrived home the gauge showed an average for the entire trip of 46.5 MPG. The difference between outbound and return trip is because it is mostly uphill going out, downhill coming back. (Reno is a mile higher than San Jose)

So here's the question. If I got 43.5 MPG on the way out and 46.5 overall, what was my MPG on the return leg?
===========================================================

Try and work it out before you look at the spoiler. It is not difficult math, but you do need to know how to approach the problem.

Click to reveal..
OK, just in case you guys think the answer is 45 MPG [(43.5 + 46.5)/2] here's the math. There may well be a simpler way to figure this, but here's how I did it...

For the full 500 mile trip at 46.5 MPG, I used 10.75 gallons of gas [500/46.5]. For the first 250 miles I got 43.5 MPG, thus using 5.75 gallons of gas [250/43.5] and leaving me 5.00 gallons left [10.75-5.75]for the return 250 mile trip, yielding a return average of 50.0 [250/5.00] miles per gallon.

These are real numbers by the way - I really did make the trip, and with two traverses over Donner Pass (elevation ~7300 feet) 46.5 MPG average is respectable. smile Speed (cruise control) was 60 MPH with occasional bursts to 70 or 75 passing trucks (I needed to get out of the passing lane quickly to avoid 11 MPG SUVs that wanted to pass me), and occasional periods of 0--10 MPH in traffic jams. Overall average speed for time spent on the road was 59 MPH. (9.5 hours door to door with an hour of down-time in Reno. Purpose of trip was to pick up an Ekornes recliner chair purchased on eBay.)

tanstaafl.