Originally Posted By: Dignan
like I said, I updated the BIOS, which set the memory speed to 1066

I assume it is this. Chances are that the original BIOS is just buggy and wasn't setting something correctly. The default memory settings should actually be DDR3-800 or DDR3-1066 since those are the "safe" official settings. I don't know why your board defaulted to DDR3-1333 operation with the original BIOS.

My Gigabyte i7 board actually has a BIOS bug which causes the memory controller to be set to incorrect timings if you do a suspend/resume cycle. There is/was an updated BIOS for it but it disappeared shortly after being released so I assume there are other problems with that release. My "fix" is that I just shutdown instead of suspending. Doesn't really take much longer anyway and I'm probably saving some $$$ from not leaving it in standby.

I'll have to dig around in the manual for your board to see what setting you actually need tochange to enable XMPP which will do the correct settings for DDR3-1600 operation. You'll probably not really notice the difference anyway between DDR3-1033 and DDR3-1600 operation anyway...

Originally Posted By: Dignan
when I launched Firefox, it started updating, and then informed me I needed a newer version of flash (the wording was extremely insistent!) so I installed it

The new versions of Firefox check the version of flash and make you upgrade because of the various security holes in earlier versions. Hardly anybody ever upgrades flash itself so this is a new feature. It wouldn't cause your entire PC to crash though so it isn't this.