Originally Posted By: drakino
Outside of iTunes, Bonjour on Windows will:
1. Allow a network printer to be used without configuration.

I have to say, the one time that Bonjour worked for this task for me, it was quite impressive.

Quote:
If you have no use for any of the above, feel free to disable the service. While it shouldn't be causing any delays, Tony seems to indicate he has seen them on Vista due to Bonjour.

It was definitely Bonjour as the culprit in my case. Admittedly, it was on a laptop that moves between the work and home networks, and has a complex network profile involving three network interfaces and a proprietary VPN system.

I discovered it because Vista's event log now monitors the performance of startup and shutdown, and will log the number of milliseconds that any given process delays startup or shutdown. It's actually quite handy, try it. Run EVENTVWR.MSC, and navigate down the tree: Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, Diagnostics-Performance, Operational. You'll see entries like this:

This driver caused a delay during standby while servicing a device:
Driver File Name : \Driver\usbhub
Driver Friendly Name : Default Hub Driver for USB
Driver Version : 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Driver Total Time : 98ms
Driver Degradation Time : 88ms
Incident Time (UTC) : 11/6/2009 6:56:46 AM
Device Name : USB\ROOT_HUB\4&f59f0eb&0
Device Friendly Name : USB Root Hub
Device Total Time : 139ms
Device Degradation Time : 95ms

If you've ever had a system that was slow to start or slow to shut down, this is very useful information to have in the event log.