We made it! After the breakdown, we made up time by pulling a 19 hour day from Tampico all the way to Escarcega (about 775 miles). There we stayed at a meager but sufficient hotel called El Gran Hotel. We slept from midnight til 5 am. We made it to Chetumal by 8:30 am, back on schedule. It took until after noon to clear customs and immigration. We were fortunate to only have to pay about $1700 in import duties. They can assess up to 72% of the value of a vehicle like mine. By 3pm we were in Belize City.

All in all, it was a good trip, and I'd do it again. The guide and brokers at both the US and Belize borders were well worth the $1000 I paid for them and ended up saving me far mre than that in the long run. I would definitely carry a lot more cash next time. I thought it would be safer to use the card, and it ended up being a headache trying to withdraw my daily limit each day at atm's because noone takes a card. Of coure my card got deactivated by fraud prevention and I had to spen a half-hour on hold to get it fixed.