Last Friday I finally upgraded the RAM in my computer, adding a 2-GB strip to the existing 2-GB strip, for a total of 4-GB. The computer now has two identical 2-GB strips, same manufacturer, same part number, same logo, same color, etc.

I was not happy when I powered the computer up with the new memory to find that I had no video. The monitor was working, it briefly displayed the ACER logo before going dark, then after 10 seconds the green power light turned amber, the screen flashed the message "No signal" and that was it.

I took the computer back apart, removed the video card, did the pencil eraser trick on the contacts, cleaned everything up, blew the dust out, put it all back together, and voila! The computer fired right up, but still no video.

I took it apart again, removed the new memory strip, powered it back up, and I had video. Big sigh of relief, the NVIDIA GEForce 8600 video card was OK.

So, maybe a problem with the second memory slot on the motherboard? I moved the original RAM strip into the second slot, leaving the first slot empty, started the computer, and was happy to see that I still had video, so the problem must be with the new RAM strip. Just to be OCD about the whole thing, I took the computer apart again, and put the new strip into the first slot of the motherboard, leaving the old strip in the second slot. I started it up, knowing that the defective RAM strip would kill my video.

I was astonished to find that I had all four GB of RAM working (subsequently verified in Task Manager) and I had video as well.

So why would the new RAM strip cause problems unless it was in the number one slot on the motherboard, while the old identical strip worked in either slot? Or is there some other variable I was unaware of and my computer now works in all its glory through nothing more than persistence and serendipity?

tanstaafl.