Well, sounds good, but can I use it ... If it is just to be a dumb VCR (considering it seems unlikely that Tivo Service or whatever it is called is offered in Belgium) then my idea of using the WinTV-PVR seems the better one. For me it is a bit of archiving, sometimes shows, sometimes a special news event, the occasional live performance on local stations. You know, nothing big, just something that tickles my fancy. For most shows I like there is already a lot of people that make high quality digital encodings of those already, perfect for what I want (VCD's mostly). Often months before the show even gets to the dark side of the planet i.e. Belgium.

The only thing I am a little worried about is quality of the WinTV-PVR encodings. Like with most product left and right some people have decided the quality of it was bad. I usually tend not to listen to that too much. Let's face it, half those reviews are tainted or incorrect because the reviewer had no idea what he was doing. Even the empeg has had his share of bashing so.

Is there anyone here who can enlighten me as to the Tivo idea. I know there is a lot on the web on it but I just want to know what it is like, does it work without Tivo service and what does it loose in functionality. Is it possible and easy (well for someone like me that is) to get the encodings off for archival purposes etc. Private or email is ok if you feel it is too off-topic.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431