Originally Posted By: Shonky
More likely it's a LAN port (not WAN) that's connected to your LAN.

D'oh! That's what I meant, of course! blush

Originally Posted By: Shonky
Go door to door until you find it (assuming the ports coming in at the floor switches aren't labelled)
If you can't find it (locked room etc), just keep pinging it and unplugging individual ports at the floor switch until it stops responding. At least then just that port is disabled.

Yeah, that's what my plan for tomorrow was. As you might imagine, they're probably a little hesitant to have me going into the apartments of 21 year old college girls! Usually someone goes with me even if there's nobody home. They have to cover their buts too.

But I'll be doing that tomorrow. Fortunately, I already narrowed everything down to about 12 ports on one of the switches on the problem floor. If I have to I'll test all 12. I could just unplug one cable at a time and see which one gives me an IP.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Your computer should give you information about the IP of the computer that gave you that IP address. I know in XP it shows up in ipconfig's output.

Then ping that IP address. It probably makes no difference if it responds or not. Then look at the computer's ARP table (under Windows, "arp -a") and match that IP address to a MAC address.

Thanks for the tip. It'll be helpful if I actually find the offending device to be able to tell the admin staff that it's the right one.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Based on suggestions from Bit in an earlier thread, when this particular organization moves into the new space they're building at the moment, I've recommended some higher-end equipment that'll be able to do the things you're suggesting. I gave them three price levels to choose from and was shocked when they went for the highest one!