Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: Robotic
Somehow I'm affected by my mother's sensibilities (insensibilities? non-sensibilities?) and have the strange compulsion to handle every object d'junk personally, even though I recognize the futility and waste.

You sound exactly like my wife, and her parents. Nothing can be thrown out without inspection for sentimental and monetary value. One of her grandmothers also had a penchant for hiding money in stuff.

I'm so reminded of Carlin's "Stuff" routine.

I look around my house, and I can count the number of things I'd like to keep fairly easily (in no particular order of importance):
  • bikes (though some need selling or replacing)
  • kayaks (and assorted gear)
  • hockey gear (only because it's expensive to replace)
  • the various momentos (generally from deceased grandparents, or travel) contained in a curio cabinet
  • cameras (and a couple hard-drives of photos)
  • cats
  • wife and daughter
But then, I've never lived in one house for longer than 5 years, so I got quite used to ejecting the detritus of life on a regular basis. (And I still have a lot of crap that needs binning.)

"Running light" is a great lifestyle. I managed it while I lived abroad.
But the old saying about apples not falling far from the tree is true.
I may laugh about my mom's collection of Osbornes, but I'm proud to have two spare empegs that are just collecting dust.
Now that I'm getting a second hand Droid1 phone set up well, I'm tempted to jump on that bandwagon, too. ah well...