For years, I haven't been able to wrap my brain around these reports from experts. Anything ranging from Nielson ratings to JD Power rankings, to niche market surveys peddled to industry alum for thousands of dollars.

Today is no different, take a look at the mobile phone report from ComScore for this past quarter.

The highlight is that Android handsets as a whole are (and have been) supposedly collectively kicking Apple's ass. Right now pegged at 51% in the US versus 30% for Apple. Even if we accept those numbers, let's look at the increase from the previous quarter to this last one. Android 3.7 and iOS 1.1.

Ok... Now let's look at what all the mobile operators have been reporting - keeping in mind that they're governed by SEC reporting rules. Every one of the top three mobile operators in the US reported that they sold more iPhones than *all* Android handsets combined last quarter. They've previously announced similar feats.

I know there are a number regional carriers and T-Mobile, by honestly, I can't see how they can swing the numbers like this. Especially since a lot of regional players are also selling iPhones and added to that Apple is also selling iPhones. How do these guys come up with 3.7 vs 1.1?

Frankly, if I paid $3000-6000 (again) for a market report I'd be a little pissed off that it was mostly made-up horse shit.

Edited by hybrid8 (01/05/2012 15:39)