Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that when someone marketed an LED TV, what they meant was this:

- LCD screen, and,
- LED backlighting, *specifically with the local dimming feature* for blacker blacks.

In other words, my expectation is that an LCD screen with an LED backlight *without* local dimming would just be called an LCD screen.

If you're saying that the latter is also being marketed as an LED TV, then yeah, I agree, I would be unhappy to hear about that, and in the future I will adjust my expectations accordingly when looking at marketing materials for screens.

Because that was, as I remember, the whole hype behind local-dimming LED backlights: It solved the problem of washed-out-looking black areas that LCD TV's were known for. I've got an LG TV with the LED local dimming, and I can say that it really kicks ass in that area. Blacks are super dark compared to my older LCD TV.

I think the industry has really shot itself in the foot here... What are they going to call it when they actually invent a TV where the pixels really are LEDs? (I mean, consumer-grade, of course. Right now a screen that's all LED's already has a name: "jumbotron" smile )