Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: Dignan
ANTOP brand antenna (model AT-400BV).

You seem to have it working to your satisfaction now, so this follow-up is just a curiosity post:

The pre-amp for this antenna appears to be a little rectangular box integrated within the antenna "box" itself. As such, it does not appear to be removable at all. There is an extra "in-line" gizmo which serves as a DC power injection module, to supply remote power to the antenna.

The placement of the power-injection module is generally unimportant in the set-up: it can be right next to the TV if desired. All it consists of internally is a tiny capacitor to block the injected DC power from going to the TV set, and then a DC jack for power connected directly to the coax middle conductor and sheath, going towards the antenna/pre-amp.

With this physical configuration, it is possible to remove the power-injector from the setup, but the pre-amp itself seems to be hardwired into the antenna (that little rectangular box) and probably cannot be removed.

Some pre-amps still pass signal when not powered, though at a significant loss. Others cease to pass any meaningful amount of signal unless powered.

It is possible they have provided mis-information (aka. "they lied") in the description though, and the entire pre-amp circuitry could instead reside within the "power injection" module. Dunno.

Cheers

I'm really not sure. At the moment I'm mostly working out some of the transcoding wonkiness between the HDHomeRun and my Plex server on my DS415+.

It did seem to make a small difference to have the injector on the antenna end rather than the tuner end. I got more channels. But it's definitely been most reliable without it and with the tuner directly next to the antenna, which has worked pretty well.