Update!

(Backstory: I've started a leave of absence from my normal job at Rice, and now I'm working for the U.S. government and I've rented an apartment in Arlington so I'm closer to the action. Still have the place in Houston, flying back and forth, etc.)

So for my new apartment, I got a new TV. i decided to go for a mid-range Sony with the "full array LED" backlight, since it's "good enough" and a whole lot cheaper than OLED. Plus, when my gig is up, and I head back home, this will turn into the backup TV. Or something.

Anyway, I made sure to get the 2023 edition of the TV, just in case that made it slightly less likely to have HDCP gremlins. I connected my Mac to the TV with the built-in HDMI port and... everything "just works" exactly like you'd expect. And, exactly unlike what I had back at home with a slightly older TV and receiver.

So far, it's just the computer and the TV. Coming up, some speakers and a receiver. Hopefully the "everything is relatively new equipment" property will make it more likely that I continue to experience everything "just working".