As you may have read elsewhere I'm moving my MKII into a difficult new car (Lexus RX300 SUV). This has an integrated dash and no place for a DIN chassis.

But there is enough room to mount a small display on the dash. What I plan to do is borrow from Frank van Gestel's Display Server. But instead of sending the pixels over IP I will shoot them out the serial port to a microcontroller connected to a display whose dimensions match those of the built-in display. I can mount the MKII under the seat and control it via the Sony stalk wired remote.

And therein lies the rub - I can't find a good match to the VFD in the empeg. It is listed in the specs as 128 by 32 by 2 (4 levels of gray scale). The gray scale is the rub. I can find some 128 by 32 LCDs or VFDs but all are either monochrome or color. And the gray scale is important because (among other things) it is used to anti-alias the fonts.

So here is my question and request for anyone at empeg who reads this: what is the make and model of the VFD in the MKII and can I buy one from empeg or anybody else?