I am one of the people that had a copy of Kim's software. Like ynot said he didn't want to release it until he was "done" with it. I am not sure if he would have charged for it, or how he would feel about releasing the source now.

After he gave up on the tiger data he was looking into extracting the map data from Garmin's routing CDs. As I understand it he made some significant progress extracting basic data (what road you are on for a give long/lat, etc), but was having more problems deciphering their routing network (data that defined which roads intersected, etc). Anyway, I think he gave up on that due to the questionable legality of releasing any software that reverse engineered their proprietary format.

The last email I got from him was a little over a year ago (from that remedy.fi address posted already). At the time he still sounded interested in the project, but was stumped by the lack of map data.

Has anybody reviewed the tiger2002 data? The tiger data I was using with Kim's software was from 2000 and by far the biggest problem was the lack of data about one-way streets. I am wondering if the '02 data has any additional street info.

-Mike