If you've got one CPU, then running one instance of lame at a time will go faster than running two together. The reason for this is that lame is CPU-bound. It pegs the CPU meter. If you run two copies of lame together, each will take almost precisely twice as long to finish.

I've noticed this...
But there is almost always only 1 instance of LAME running, since my burner is much slower at ripping than my cpu is capable of encoding... eventhough I specify that 2 instances CAN run.

Ah Dave, I think you missed the compliment in my post

yep, saw that, thanks, sorry for no thanks earilier.

When taking into account the limiting factor of the 3x ripping of your Acer cdr it does begin to make a bit more sence, until I look at you time line.At no point do I see the second instance of LAME been used, and you your self said the the limiting factor is the ripping not the encoding.

Yeah, but since my burner is a slow (but very accurate) ripper, LAME has plenty of time to finish before the next track is finished ripping and ready to be encoded. It is only on CD's with many shorter length tracks that ripping can finish a track and move on to the next one before LAME has time to open, start encoding and close in time to start the next encode.

You seem to have confused "encoding in the background while ripping" with "running multiple instance of LAME in the background while ripping".

I get the difference here, sorry for the confusing message, I just rarely ever need to run multi MALE instances.

Also you seem to have brushed aside the two site I point you in the direction off. This was not in any way an attempt to disprove your setting choices, but rather to put you in touch with others who have gone through these settings or have created these settings and therefore are responsible for the direction that LAME is taking.

I realize that, I offered my settings as an eye opener to those who might not realize the full potential of LAME. and since you provided the links, I (foolishly) did not reinclude them in my message, but I, too recommend those sites... A great resource...

Finally do your self a favour and head over to http://www.cdspeed2000.com and check out the DAE speed of various CD drives, and also visit the above mentioned forum. And then fork out the $100 for a new CD drive so the you can remove that limiting Acer burner of yours.

Now THAT's a nice link... did everyone check that? It's : http://www.cdspeed2000.com

One more question dcosta - how often do you change the oil in your car?

I change my oil every 3000 miles on the nose, it's easy to keep track of that way.
3,000 - 6,000 - 9,000 - 12,000 you get the idea... Why do you ask ?

Edited by dcosta (22/05/2002 18:22)