Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10459 - 04/07/2000 14:16 Re: MKII Customer Review plz! [Re: Nils]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
In reply to:

but i would like to access the filespace from a Windoze Computer

Er, why? Firstly, if you had direct file access you wouldn't have any of the playlist creation that emplode provides. Secondly, if they did write an NFS driver which emulated the playlists as some sort of directory structure this would still miss out on the song tag checking and so forth. And thirdly, since you've got a windows computer, why not use emplode anyway?

Seems a lot of trouble to go to to get around using a simple program.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#10460 - 04/07/2000 14:48 Re: MKII Customer Review plz! [Re: PaulWay]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Well there is a script that produces symlinks with the correct mp3 filenames ( Artist-Album-Title ) on the empeg HD, if i would have samba or a working nfs connection, i could play AND COPY those files back, the thing i always wanted ...
The script could also be enhanced to also reproduce the playlist tree structure ...
And i could use the empeg as a portable Harddisk ...

Seems nice to me ...
So samba is what i like :-) Every windoze pc can talk to my empeg files directly then ...

Nils

#10461 - 04/07/2000 15:00 Re: MKII Customer Review plz! [Re: PaulWay]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Development. For me, I was developing stuff for my empeg on my laptop running Win2000, and telnet to my linux machine for any linux specific stuff. I was frequently sending and recieving files from the empeg, and if I could just drag and drop them off the empeg via samba to my Linux machine with Samba, it would save quite a bit of time.

It will also make the empeg compatible with upcomming network MP3 players for the stereo system. Instead of having to hook the empeg up to the stereo to hear the music off it, a person could simply plug it into the ethernet and allow their player to pick songs off the empeg and a home system.

I'll probably create a startup script that only starts Samba if it can ping my linux machine, that way resources are only used on Samba when it will be needed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2