Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#108054 - 29/07/2002 10:43 Gallery-type application needed
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I was wondering if there was an application for the use I need.

Basically, I need an online directory program. I need it to show a list of members. If I just needed photos of the people, Gallery would be just fine, but I'll need several fields of info for each of them.

Basically, this is for the music fraternity at my school.

Here's the site

And here's the member list page.

Right now it uses a script that redbutt2 was kind enough to write for me, but this isn't the greatest purpose for it. It took an excruciatingly long time to set up.

The problem comes when we get new members (twice a year) and loose old ones (once a year). It's a pain to go in and add and delete people. Plus it's a lot of load time for some people.

So is there a more graceful way to do this?

#108055 - 29/07/2002 11:38 Re: Gallery-type application needed [Re: Dignan]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Assuming you're on *nix or linux...You could try using igal like this:

Edit the igal .slide_template to include html for all the information fields that you want, with some dummy info in them.
Run igal with the -c option to create a .captions file. Edit this file to put names against faces.
Rerun igal to create the individual photo pages with the -u option so that the captions (names) get put under the thumbnails in the index page.
Edit the individual .html files to change the dummy information to the correct info for that person.

Ok, so I wouldn't want to do this for a large number of people, but for the number in your fraternity it should be ok.

#108056 - 29/07/2002 11:49 Re: Gallery-type application needed [Re: genixia]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Thanks, I'll look into that, but I seem to remember my server running Win2K. And now that I think about it, they were quite lacking on the server side. No PHP or databases and all that stuff. That's gonna limit me. But hey, it's free.

#108057 - 29/07/2002 13:19 Re: Gallery-type application needed [Re: Dignan]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA

#108058 - 29/07/2002 14:29 Re: Gallery-type application needed [Re: Dignan]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

...thinking about it...you don't actually need to run igal on the server - you could run it on any linux machine and then transfer the directory structure afterwards...and I'm sure there's no shortage of linux on your campus.