Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#121363 - 17/10/2002 01:19 FreeDB Query in MS Access
MP3944
journeyman

Loc: Grove City, OH, USA
Hey Guys,
Is there anyway to query the Freedb database for just one track at a time without using the discID (which I don't have for most of my songs, they are downloaded) so I can get the track info for the current track? Is there a prog that already does this, if not, can we come up with one, or a way to do it in MS Access, or something? I think this would be quite useful for those of us that want to sort our MP3s by year if we don't have this information right at hand.
Thanks,
Justin

#121364 - 17/10/2002 08:39 Re: FreeDB Query in MS Access [Re: MP3944]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
As far as I'm aware, there is no way of querying the freedb database on anything other than a whole-disc (i.e. DiscId) basis. I suppose it may be feasible to compute a DiscId from a complete disc-set of mp3 files (assuming that the track lengths are all correct), but I imagine it would be neither simple nor reliable.

The freedb database itself is available for download (albeit at about 140Mb, compressed), so it may be possible to make your own, personal, query engine to do the sort of thing you're after. However, you've then just got a static snapshot of the db, and would have to consider how to keep it synchronised.

With luck, of course, someone will come along and prove me completely wrong...

Bryan.