Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#131083 - 17/12/2002 08:26 Q for Audio gods
jbrinkerhoff

This may not be the best place for this question, but in the past the audio Empeg gods have at least pointed me in the correct direction.

Here's what I was thinking: Im currently still running my empeg though an FM mod to my (stock) Jeep (chrysler) Infinity Gold system. The stock stereo in this 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd sounds pretty good to me, and Im in no major hurry to rip it out. (I like having "factory-not-likely-to-be-stolen" looking stuff, and its a weird 1.5DIN hole)

Now, I have the almost top-of-the-line factory system, but the one higher than mine had the CD-changer controls. I have a lead on a cheap (maybe free) one with the changer controls, and persumably an input. I was thinking of swapping the head unit to the one with the cd-changer input and uising that, as opposed to the fm-mod for input. However, I would need either a "magic box" that would allow me to input RCA line-level signals into the changer inputs, or a pin-out so I can figure out how to do it myself.

I have seen these pinouts in the past for a few other stereos, and generally as I recall they are pretty simple - some power, a couple line level signal pins, ground, and some serial connection.

Does anyone know where I can get either of the above for chrysler (jeep) stuff? I've seen cd-changer adaptors (to add an alpine, etc changer) but nothing that just makes the cd-changer input basically an AUX.

If anyone has a good direction I'd appreciate it... Forums, places that sell weird black-boxes, etc...

Thanks!!
Jeff

#131084 - 17/12/2002 08:56 Re: Q for Audio gods [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just because the pins are simple, doesn't mean the interface is simple...

#131085 - 17/12/2002 14:58 Re: Q for Audio gods [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

Heh heh.. Yes, agreed. I wasn't trying to oversimplify, just that if I could find the pinout I'd have a clue wether it would be worth attempting.

I did find this:

http://www.pie.net/aux_appl_chry.htm#jeep

which seems to be exactly what I want. Now just to find a dealer that sells it...

#131086 - 17/12/2002 15:29 Re: Q for Audio gods [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yup, that looks like the sort of thing you're looking for. The car installation section of the FAQ has links to some other sites which deal in that sort of thing, too, in case you have trouble sourcing something from those people.

#131087 - 18/12/2002 09:32 Re: Q for Audio gods [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

Just for the archives, so to speak, in case anyone else has this need (they make adaptors for virtually ANY stock unit that has cd-changer controls).

http://www.logjamelectronics.com

has them in stock, $69. About the same as a decent FM mod, so it would definitely be my preferance. I don't know if it would be worth the effort, but perhaps this can be added to the FAQ in the installation area as an idea for folks.

-Jeff