Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#132109 - 03/01/2003 06:02 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Tony, it's been a couple of days since I've downloaded your songs, and ever since then I've been driving my housemates MAD because I'm walking though the house all day long going :"beepbeepbeepbeep beepbeepbeepbeepbeep" ("chip wonder" is my favourite). I can't help it, it's such a catchy-ass song!

So all my housemates would like to say to you : THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Seriously though : I like the songs and they've already found their way onto my Empeg. I hope you'll make some more material in the future.

#132110 - 03/01/2003 11:09 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thank you! I'm so glad you like it!

Remember: that one is a parody of a Carla Ulbrich tune, and her original song is even better than my parody. Her album is really fantastic and quite funny in its own right. Check it out at www.carlau.com if you're interested.

#132111 - 03/01/2003 11:42 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tfabris]
EDub
journeyman

Well, that's amazing story. I can't believe you shared that.

Of course back in the day of tech suppt. I asked this lady to go to her program manager (NT 3.51) and there was a 30 second pause. I said Hello? Hello? She said ok , he's here now.
She went and got her manager...
I won't go into the story of the person on a cell phone trying to dial in while driving...and then crashing into another car..

#132112 - 03/01/2003 11:46 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: EDub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ooo, those are good ones.

I have a second hand story along those lines. From someone who used to work a support line in the old days of 5" floppy disk drives:

"Put the disk in the drive, label side up, oval hole towards the computer."

"Okay, done."

"Then close the door."

"Okay, hang on."

<sound of phone being put down, footsteps, sound of office door being closed, footsteps>

"Okay, now what?"

#132113 - 03/01/2003 12:22 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

That's nothing. We once sent out a set of DIMMs to upgrade a server at a clients office. They insisted that they could handle the upgrade themselves and that we wouldn't need to come out.

It all goes well until I suddenly get a phone call half way through them installing the memory. They said the console had bizarre errors and warnings which wouldn't go away. This was strange since in the instructions I sent them I explicitly told them to install all of DIMMs before powering it up. Turns out the moron actually left the machine ON whilst installing the memory!

Amazingly it still worked once they installed it properly with the power off... And as you can guess, I now don't believe them when they say they can handle it

- Trevor

#132114 - 03/01/2003 13:47 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tman]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
One of our TECHS got fired for doing that. he kept insisting that it was a trick he learned and that if you powered up the computer and timed it just right there was some advantage. Honestly had no idea what he was talking about, didn't care, he needed to go as he'd blatantly lied about his skills on his resume.

#132115 - 03/01/2003 15:05 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I'll have a look at that album. If her original version is even half as good as your parody, then I'm sure I'll like it.

Thanks for the link!

Edit : I've looked at Carla Ulbrich's page and Boy Wonder is not downloadable.
And she isn't known at all on the more popular file-sharing programs. There's a good chance that the CD stores over here also will have never heard of her, so I fear for my chances of ever hearing the original song.
OTOH, I listened to a few of those songs that were downloadable and I liked them. I also have read the lyrics to Boy Wonder, so I believe I have a pretty good idea of how it sounds.

#132116 - 03/01/2003 16:07 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: lopan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
On a similar note I have quite successfully hot swapped failed ISA network cards in the past. Not recommended, but it did work...

#132117 - 03/01/2003 17:09 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

There's a good chance that the CD stores over here also will have never heard of her, so I fear for my chances of ever hearing the original song.

She's got an MP3.com page where the song can be downloaded. Her CD isn't a mass-market CD, so you won't find it in record stores. But it is available via mail-order from her site.

#132118 - 03/01/2003 17:30 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Thanks! I was able to download it now.
I still like your version better.
Maybe it's because I heard that version the first or maybe it's because it's more about my field of interest I don't know...
Still, it is a nice song and I will listen to all the ones that are online. If they're all as good I'll look into in buying the cd.

#132119 - 03/01/2003 21:08 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: tman]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Turns out the moron actually left the machine ON whilst installing the memory!

Once OS support arrives for hot add memory, make sure they have a Proliant ML570 with hot plug memory.

#132120 - 04/01/2003 05:12 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: andy]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
On a similar note I have quite successfully hot swapped failed ISA network cards in the past. Not recommended, but it did work.

That's coz it was slow enough to get the card in, in-between cycles.

#132121 - 06/01/2003 08:46 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
[unix bigot]
As I'll point out again, Sun has had this technology for years.
[/unix bigot]

#132122 - 06/01/2003 11:19 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

As I'll point out again, Sun has had this technology for years.

Same for the OS that ran on the Tandem boxes. The thing that has me excited about the Proliants getting it though is that it has now dropped enough in price that low end servers (albient mid range intel servers) can easially put it in the box without increasing the price over the last generation box.

I'm now wondering how long until hot pluggable CPUs exist in low end servers.

Also, the most likely OS to add the hot add memory on the machine above will most likely be a UNIX based one anyhow, as I didn't see a hint of .Net supporting it.

#132123 - 06/01/2003 11:25 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I recently had a roadmap meeting w/ HP/Compaq and they don't have any Unix planned for any Intel processor other than the Itanium (II). Somehow, it seems unlikely that Linux or one of the free BSDs will implement this, which leaves SCO and Solaris as, I think, the only remaining x86 Unix vendors. Solaris x86, while pulled from the fire, is likely to have even more limited hardware support than before, and who uses SCO?

So if your claim that .Net won't support it is true, it looks like it might end up being unused technology. Neat!

#132124 - 06/01/2003 11:42 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I recently had a roadmap meeting w/ HP/Compaq and they don't have any Unix planned for any Intel processor other than the Itanium (II)

Hmm, what roadmap was this? The only one I can think of would be the migration of the Alpha and PARISC based OSs. The HP/UX Tru64 mess will definitly be an Itanium only OS (same for the newer versions of VMS), but the IA-32 line should continue to support what it does today. Officially, Com^H^H^H HP supports Linux (including quite few open source drivers lately), SCO Openserver 5 (and probably the upcoming 5.0.7), Unixware 7 and 8, and Sun Solaris. Variants of BSD tend to work, but aren't officially supported unless your company name is Yahoo. Enough revenue is generated on non MS destined Proliants that it's doubtful the existing support level will ever drop. I don't have numbers on the Unix deployment, but 50% of all machines running Netware are Proliant boxes.

Linux seems to me the most likely candidate for it first, due to the fact that Compaq already has developed drivers in that area for PCI, and the 2.5 kernel is making it even easier for any bus to have a hot plug handler (http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/).

and who uses SCO?

Quite a few people actually. I see indications that SCO OSs (namley Openserver 5) have a higher percentage of the Proliant marketshare then Solaris.

#132125 - 06/01/2003 11:48 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

All I can tell you is that they didn't mention any OSes beyond Windows, HPUX, OSF1/Digital Unix/Tru64, and OpenVMS. They may have actually mentioned Linux, but not much -- they talked about VMS more, and they barely mentioned it at all.

Are you getting your info from the Compaq side or the HP side? We seem to have been coming at them (at least in that meeting) via HP, and that might be the reason we're getting slightly different stories.

OTOH, years ago, at a previous company, we were going to get discounted Compaq machines for some reason, but changed our mind when we asked, cursorily, if running Linux on them would be a problem and were told that it would void the hardware warranty. I try to avoid Compaq for many such reasons.

#132126 - 06/01/2003 12:02 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

All I can tell you is that they didn't mention any OSes beyond Windows, HPUX, OSF1/Digital Unix/Tru64, and OpenVMS. They may have actually mentioned Linux, but not much -- they talked about VMS more, and they barely mentioned it at all.

Definitly sounds like a presentation aimed at existing 64 bit customers then. If they had any hands on parts, anyone attending would know to avoid Win64 like the plague for now. That was the most convoluted piece of crap I have ever seen. (Both the shipping "Windows Server Limited Edition" that MS even advises not to run in production, and early versions of "Windows .Net 64 Bit Version").

Are you getting your info from the Compaq side or the HP side? We seem to have been coming at them (at least in that meeting) via HP

I'm getting my info from the Compaq side. When the merger occured, the Proliant Itanium line died, and all the HP engineers took the one good thing from their work, the best EFI interface developed for first gen Itanium boxes. Since the Proliant Itanium line died, I haven't heard much about the roadmap for HP Itanium boxes beyong the 2005 timeframe for Alpha to IA-64 migration.

I'm really hoping the information you are getting isn't a hint that Unix support on the Proliant side might die off. The only logical reason I could see for that is they see the Unix market at the high end of equipment only. Still seems silly though, considering the main deployment tool for Proliants (Smartstart) just changed from a Windows core to a Linux/Apache/PHP/Mozilla based one.

OTOH, years ago, at a previous company, we were going to get discounted Compaq machines for some reason, but changed our mind when we asked, cursorily, if running Linux on them would be a problem and were told that it would void the hardware warranty. I try to avoid Compaq for many such reasons.

Seems to be a popular rumor that even went around ignorant Compaq employees for a while. That was never true for the servers anyhow. I can't speak for the Presario or Deskpro divisions though in the past. Currently, quite a few HP products support Linux including the iPaq handheld.

#132127 - 06/01/2003 12:26 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I have a feeling that that support thing wasn't ever true, even when we initially heard it, but no matter to whom we spoke at Compaq, we couldn't get anyone to refute it, and since Compaq stuff, in our experience, died about every two months, we decided to go another route.

#132128 - 06/01/2003 23:38 Re: I am a complete idiot. [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I've hot swapped bioses several times. To flash a bad bios, just take a mobo that has the same one, boot up into DOS, pop the good bios out and put the one that needs to be flashed in its place and flash away. I first did it to hack an I-Opener, but have done it several times with different boards since then.

#132129 - 07/01/2003 01:03 I-Opener (Re: I am a complete idiot.) [Re: JBjorgen]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Hmmm. I still have an I-Opener open on my dining room table. I should find a use for it or sell it. It was going to be a music and map system for the car. Then I got the empeg...

#132130 - 07/01/2003 11:58 I-Opener (Re: I am a complete idiot.) [Re: Daria]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'm working on my second one. I'm trying to swap a TFT into it. Then I can use it as a video kiosk. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

#132131 - 07/01/2003 12:12 I-Opener (Re: I am a complete idiot.) [Re: JBjorgen]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I also got a Gateway Connected Touchpad which may become a walkaround control for my model railroad (dispatcher's model board) if I get around to it.

Of course I also have this full-sized (very heavy)
toy to use for that...

#132132 - 07/01/2003 12:17 I-Opener (Re: I am a complete idiot.) [Re: Daria]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What kind of trains do you have? I've got an old 1950's locomotive (O guage) and coal car. I also have my uncle's 1945 set, though it's in serious need of some oil. You've never hear anything shreik like this thing. I'm not sure how old my transformer is, but it's a pretty hefty one.

#132133 - 07/01/2003 12:31 I-Opener (Re: I am a complete idiot.) [Re: Dignan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

All HO. My goal is a late 1950s or early 1960s layout based on various parts of Western PA. Right now it's just some benchwork.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2