Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133349 - 06/01/2003 15:46 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
WOW. Me want. That's all i can say.

Summary:
turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter DOHC boxer engine producing 300 horsepower and 300 lb.-ft. of peak torque
6-speed manual transmission
DCCD (Driver Control Center Differential)
17-inch lightweight aluminum-alloy BBS® wheels
Brembo® Brakes with Super Sport ABS
NO STEREO (perfect for an empeg =])
HID headlights

Official 2004 Press Release
Subaru Introduces the 2004 Impreza WRX STi at North American International Auto Show
"No-Compromise" Performance Model is the Most Powerful Subaru Ever Offered in North America

DETROIT, Jan. 6, 2003 — Subaru of America, Inc. today introduced the long-awaited 2004 Impreza WRX STi, an ultra high-performance all-wheel drive sedan, at the North American International Auto Show. Based on the critically acclaimed Subaru Impreza WRX, Impreza WRX STi is completely re-engineered to provide world-class sports car levels of acceleration, handling and braking performance. Impreza WRX STi will serve as the performance flagship of the Subaru line when it arrives in dealerships this summer and will earn distinction as the most powerful Subaru ever offered for sale in North America.

The Impreza WRX STi draws motorsports technology directly from Subaru expertise in World Rally Championship (WRC) competition, and is designed to appeal to the serious driving enthusiast. Impreza WRX STi is powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter DOHC boxer engine producing 300 horsepower and 300 lb.-ft. of peak torque, teamed exclusively to a 6-speed manual transmission. Power is transferred to all four wheels via a sophisticated Subaru All-Wheel Drive system designed to optimize performance in all conditions.

Introducing Subaru Tecnica International (STI)
STI stands for Subaru Tecnica International, the high-performance and motorsports subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. Subaru, which offers the only exclusively All-Wheel Drive line of passenger cars and crossover-type vehicles in the United States, has been proving the performance and durability of its All-Wheel Drive technology in World Rally Championship competition since 1989.

Until now, STi-badged Subaru vehicles had been available only in select world markets. However, the success of the WRX in the U.S. prompted strong (and vocal) demand from American consumers for an even more extreme-performance version of this car. As a result, the U.S.-market Impreza WRX STi gives up nothing compared to models offered in Europe, Japan and other markets and in some ways offers more performance. For example, the 2.5-liter turbocharged powerplant is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a WRX STi model and is exclusive to the North American market. This unique engine also provides strong torque characteristics at both low and high rpm.

Rally Tested, Road Ready
The Impreza WRX STi benefits from the redesigned front and rear styling of the 2004 Impreza line. The expressive new design is the result of close consultation with Subaru STi engineers and the Subaru World Rally Team to improve air resistance, optimize lift force balance, maximize engine cooling and provide Impreza models with a bolder, more dynamic appearance. In its exterior design, Impreza WRX STi leaves no doubts about its performance potential -- a look that is equally functional. The enlarged hood scoop in the aluminum hood feeds outside air to the intercooler that is significantly larger than the unit found on Impreza WRX. A completely functional dual element rear spoiler-which appears to be borrowed directly from the Subaru World Rally Car-helps reduce lift and improve stability at high speed. Airflow is also managed via front side spoilers on the front bumper and STi side ground effects. The front fascia features four high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with smoke tinted lenses and distinctive STi fog light insert covers for a no-nonsense look. Large diameter Brembo® brakes are clearly visible between the spokes of the 17-inch lightweight aluminum-alloy BBS® wheels.

The 2.5-liter horizontally opposed ("boxer") four-cylinder engine is based on a specially reinforced "semi-closed deck" engine block with forged aluminum alloy pistons, forged high-carbon steel connecting rods and sodium-filled exhaust valves. This advanced powerplant incorporates Subaru AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve timing technology to optimize the engine's volumetric efficiency throughout the rev band. It is the first application of this technology on a Subaru in North America. The large capacity intercooler includes a manually operated water spray feature to provide additional cooling.

Driver-Adjustable All-Wheel Drive
WRX STi is equipped with the brand's most performance-directed All-Wheel Drive system with DCCD (Driver Control Center Differential). In automatic mode, the computer varies the front/rear torque split automatically depending on driving conditions and driver input. In manual mode, the DCCD system allows the driver to vary the front-to-rear torque distribution for different driving conditions. Using a small control wheel on the car's center console, the driver can set the system to transfer as much as 65 percent of available torque to the rear wheels to increase handling agility. Impreza WRX STi employs a new Suretrac® limited-slip front differential and a mechanical limited-slip rear differential. The Suretrac differential is a gearless unit that responds to a torque differential between left and right wheels to increase traction and reduce understeer.

Form Follows Function
Inside are several reminders that Impreza WRX STi is a special vehicle. The sport-design front seats feature substantial side bolsters, an integrated head restraint design and an embroidered "STi" logo. The seats are upholstered in unique perforated blue Ecsaine® fabric with contrasting black knit bolsters, complemented by expressive blue floor carpeting. STI engineers also examined a wide range of measures to help reduce weight, eliminating items that did not enhance performance. As a result, Impreza WRX STi does not include a standard sound system. However, an optional sound system will be available at Subaru dealers. Other weight reduction measures include the use of lightweight rear window glass, aluminum control arms and forged aluminum wheels. Comfort features such as air conditioning, power windows, power door locks and power mirrors - amenities that an owner cannot add after the sale - are included as standard equipment.

A revised STi instrument gauge cluster places a 9,000-rpm tachometer in the center, complemented by a 160-mph speedometer, DCCD display, fuel and temperature gauges. Red LED indicators and an illuminated "STi" logo in the tachometer reinforce the sporty driving environment. Offering a preview the vehicle's performance potential, all the gauge needles swing to their maximum positions when the ignition is switched on, then fall back to their normal positions. All three primary gauges are trimmed with aluminum rings. A Subaru World Rally Team-designed black leather-wrapped MOMO® brand steering wheel with red upper stitching and black lower stitching and matching leather-wrapped parking brake handle with red stitching are also unique to Impreza WRX STi.

Competition-Proven Handling
A super-stiff Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure with a hydroformed front subframe form the basis of the high-integrity Impreza platform. The 4-wheel independent suspension inherits technology from the Impreza World Rally Championship competition car, but has been strictly optimized in the WRX STi for high cornering performance on paved roads. Compared to the standard WRX, the STi version has been lowered by 0.4-inch, yielding a lower center of gravity. New inverted struts in the front and rear suspension reduce unsprung vehicle weight and increase bending resistance for quicker and more consistent performance under hard cornering.

The WRX STi employs a quicker steering ratio than the standard WRX model - 15.0-to-1 compared to 16.5-to-1 for the WRX. As standard equipment, Subaru equips the WRX STi with 17x7.5-inch BBS aluminum-alloy wheels and 225/45 ZR17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070 directional performance tires.

Brembo® Brakes with Super Sport ABS
Subaru has equipped the Impreza WRX STi with one of the most advanced and performance-optimized braking systems on the market today. The powerful Brembo Performance Brake System employs ventilated 4-wheel disc brakes to help ensure stopping power and consistency commensurate with the vehicle's extreme performance capability. The front discs measure 12.7 inches in diameter and 1.2-inch thick and utilize four-piston, fixed-position calipers. The rear discs are 12.3 inches in diameter and 0.8-inch thick and make use of two-piston, fixed-position calipers.

A combination of Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD) and a new Super Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) helps to reduce stopping distances and understeer when compared to conventional ABS systems. Conventional ABS systems control the rear wheels as a pair, reducing the braking force to both wheels when a loss of traction is detected at either wheel. Using input from a lateral g-sensor, Super Sport ABS can independently control the braking forces at each wheel, optimizing the braking ability during hard cornering - resulting in reduced understeer. EBD also provides a more precise control of braking pressure between the front and rear wheels based on the vehicle load to improve stopping distances and stability.

Standard safety features include front seat head/chest side impact air bags (SRS), dual front airbags and three-point seatbelts. Front seat belts include electrically triggered pre-tensioners and force limiters. All 2004 Impreza models receive collapsible pedal controls that "break away" during a frontal impact to help reduce foot injuries.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered near Philadelphia, the company markets and distributes Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 franchised dealers across the United States.

#133350 - 06/01/2003 15:54 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wait. I thought you wanted a DeLorean.

#133351 - 06/01/2003 16:14 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
But who knows, it could as ugly as an Asstec (thanks Tony). Who knows what they did to the body. Do you have a pic?

I somewhat like the look of the current WRX, but sometimes these companies change things too much.

#133352 - 06/01/2003 16:31 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: Dignan]
loren
carpal tunnel

http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/main.jsp

a bunch of pics in there. They basically upgraded the front end. Just when the bug eyes were growing on me. Looks a bit more "sophisticated" i guess... that's the standard WRX i mean. The STi is all decked out rally style. Gold wheels and all.

I'm just gonna pick up a WRX for under $23k and spend 5k or so mods over the next few years. Chances are i won't be able to push a WRX to it's max much less an STi.

#133353 - 06/01/2003 16:50 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

I'd still love a DeLorean as a project car... but never as a daily driver. It's nowhere near powerful enough and i'd imagine it handles like ass... but I've never driven one so i couldn't tell ya... but damn do they look cool and have a geek factor of 11. =]

#133354 - 07/01/2003 00:54 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I haven't driven my WRX in over a month

Got into a bit of a "thing" and it's been in the shop. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow.

I would definately agree on just getting the $23K wrx and modding it. Although the STi does have some really cool stuff to it...too bad it's gonna be about $33K.

By the way, this looks like a stereo to me

Edited by ithoughti (07/01/2003 01:00)

#133355 - 07/01/2003 01:57 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
In reply to:

a bunch of pics in there.

Ahh, much better. Even though the chances of me insuring an Impreza for anything less than £2K a year (only 23 you see) are about a zillion to one. I really went off the Impreza when they changed the front end, but now it looks loads better, you never know, when I get a little older maybe. I can't justify spending nearly a 10th of its retail value every year to insure it.

$23K sounds really cheap though, looking on xe.com that equates to about £14K, surely that's not for a new one, is it?

Andy M

#133356 - 07/01/2003 02:45 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: andym]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Remember when you add all the import duties and taxes it isn't that much cheaper than an equivalent model over here, and it is a US specification - which is not really recommended here. The European specs, although not giving us a 2.5l engine actually have equivalent performance, and the Japanese models give an even better performance.

Of course, what you really want is a P1 - blows the WRX STi's away. I really really want one, but can't afford the extra £25k
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#133357 - 07/01/2003 03:03 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
This DeLorean didn't seem to handle like ass, but then, I was just along for the ride.

Yes, it really does have a Mr. Fusion in it.

#133358 - 07/01/2003 11:04 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

By the way, this looks like a stereo to me

Yeah, it's a dealer installed option though. Come stock without one according to the press release.

$23K sounds really cheap though, looking on xe.com that equates to about £14K, surely that's not for a new one, is it?

Yup, for a new one. You can find the '03 models around here for invoice and the '02's for under invoice.

This DeLorean didn't seem to handle like ass, but then, I was just along for the ride.

yeah, i've never been in one that wasn't parked... i just wouldn't imagine it would be as tuned as a rally bread car. But what do i know?? They'd have to be pretty damn stable to travel through time!

#133359 - 07/01/2003 11:51 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
wow...

The photos had been floating around the internet for a while, but the rumor was that the car was going to have ~270hp (like the European STi) and cost approx. $28K US.... (of course they guessed the regualr WRX would also cost $28K US before it came to North America). Sounds like they bumped up the price and the horsepower to match the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII (also coming to the US).

I still love my "regular" WRX though. Funny, the empeg is the only gadget/toy I have that has been the best thing out for years and years.

#133360 - 07/01/2003 22:43 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Just when the bug eyes were growing on me

I didn't get the WRX for its looks, but it *has* grown on me to where I think it's just fine, bug eyes and all. I have looked at the new WRX/STi pics a few times and have to say that I don't consider the new headlights an improvement -- seems like they were really struggling with a way to do *something* but not change too, too much.

Interesting, a showroom in Hong Kong had an (old headlight style) STi *wagon* in WRC blue and it looked decked. No roof rack, though (for anybody hell-bent on practicality).

300HP would be nice, but I'm getting old and the car is scary enough (esp in mud and snow) as is. No power-related mods yet. Perhaps a few modest touches post warranty if paychecks are still flowing.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#133361 - 08/01/2003 14:02 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: jimhogan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I really like this car, except for the ugly rear spoiler of doom. Suppose you can get the car with a "normal" spoiler?

Also announced yesterday was the final pricing and whatnot for the Mazda RX-8. It's also a sweet car, not as powerful as the WRX STi, but still very cool. The big question there is how you're supposed to wedge a 3rd-party stereo in it. Mazda is using one of the typical new integrated stereos, where the front panel for the stereo is one large plastic (?) panel that goes down over the air controls and everything else as well.

#133362 - 08/01/2003 14:10 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: DWallach]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I really like this car, except for the ugly rear spoiler of doom. Suppose you can get the car with a "normal" spoiler?

Yeah, the design is so refined and understated apart from that.

Peter

#133363 - 08/01/2003 14:54 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

It comes pre-riced!

*edit*
well, since the car actually performs, I guess it's not actually a ricer element, but it's still ugly...:)

Edited by DiGNAN17 (08/01/2003 14:55)

#133364 - 08/01/2003 16:07 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: Dignan]
loren
carpal tunnel

The spoiler is taken straight from the Rally version... functional for sure. That said... the thing is huge and i'd rather a smaller one. There's a ton of people on the Impreza.net board who are already arranging swaps ... the regualar WRX people want the big wing and the soon to be STi people want the small. LOL.

(PS... you want to see an example of another pretty damn good BBS, that's one. Tons of traffic and tons of info... very few trolls shockingly enough.)

#133365 - 08/01/2003 19:37 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I suppose I can understand that, then.

I think you have to get into enough of a niche to make it a congenial atmosphere. I suppose having an expensive product as the center point helps, otherwise why would you be there?

#133366 - 08/01/2003 21:15 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Yeah, impreza.net or nasioc.com or whatever it is now, (formerly i-club.net) is a great place for info, but it always makes me sad to see so many people with their wrx's all tricked out like I want mine. The next thing I want to do is get some 17" wheels and good tires for the springtime. Now all I need is $1400.

#133367 - 09/01/2003 00:56 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

Heheh.. yeah, i've already got my upgrade path lined up in my head... and i don't even have my order in for the thing! =]

#133368 - 09/01/2003 04:11 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: ithoughti]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Not convinced by the whole 17" wheels thing. The performance stats on various sites seem to imply that 16" will actually perform better on most roads, and 17" is only worthwhile on track days.

The weight of the 17" wheels seems to more than offset the improved cornering in most everyday situations

This is purely from reading I have done on the subject - I have no first hand experience. I only have 15" - sob. (Heh, what a line - sorry)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#133369 - 09/01/2003 10:02 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: frog51]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
The weight of the 17" wheels seems to more than offset the improved cornering in most everyday situations

Not if you convince your SO to mortgage the house to buy something like some SSR Comps!

My goal is more modest, somethink like some (Volk copy) Rota Attacks , maybe about the same weight as my OE 16s. Just for May-September, I'll let you know if I notice the difference, shorter sidewalls and all. I *really* want 'em cause they look cooler in 17" and the 5 spokers are easier to clean (than the OE split 5-spokers).

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#133370 - 09/01/2003 12:48 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: jimhogan]
loren
carpal tunnel

more pics from the autoshow.

#133371 - 09/01/2003 12:56 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
And here. Shots of the engine (in the car) in this one.
ricin.us

#133372 - 09/01/2003 13:07 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: ricin]
loren
carpal tunnel

That's one tightly packed engine bay.

Just noticed the pick of the '04 WRX Wagon in the link i posted to... SAWEET.

#133373 - 09/01/2003 13:12 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Yep. I've always been a huge fan of the Impreza's, and I was planning on getting a WRX next year, but now that the STi is actually going to be released, I've changed my mind. Anyone want to buy a 2000 Jetta?
ricin.us

#133374 - 09/01/2003 14:39 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: frog51]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The performance stats on various sites seem to imply that 16" will actually perform better on most roads, and 17" is only worthwhile on track days.

Sigh... As if it really mattered.

Dammit, I'm coming off all negative and holier-than-thou, and that isn't what I want to do at all.

Now, I know that every person on this bbs (myself included) knows for an absolute certainty that he is (a) among the top 1 or 2% in the entire world when it comes to driving ability; and (b) is among the top 1 or 2 persons in the entire world when it comes to making love.

Well, I hate to tell you guys this, but you're deluding yourselves. (Not me -- I actually am in that 1 or 2 percent/persons group.)

I doubt very seriously that there is one person among us who could even tell the difference in the way the car drove with 17" wheels vs 16" wheels -- much less exploit that difference for a performance advantage. And even if he could, chances are that he would never find the opportunity to do so.

But, I know where you're coming from on this: there is a lot of satisfaction in just knowing your car has the potential even if you never actually have the skill or opportunity to use it. I mean, my ShoWagon is a pretty kick-ass sleeper of a car, but other than a few straight-line acceleration runs I've never actually done anything with it that a bone-stock Taurus wagon couldn't have done.

My recommendation would be to put the wheels/tires on it that look the best and give you the biggest warm and fuzzy feeling inside when you look at the car. You'll be happier in the long run.

tanstaafl.

#133375 - 09/01/2003 16:20 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: tanstaafl.]
loren
carpal tunnel

Whilst i agree about the fact that i personally probably won't ever exploit the driving abilities of something like an STi (which is why i'm not saving up for one)... i'll have to disagree on the point that i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 16" and 17" rims. I've driven my car with 16"s and with 17"s and lemme tell you, there's a huge difference in cornering... most of which is attributable to the tires i'd imagine, but it's definitely noticable.

I'm gonna start looking at some safety/racing schools in the area... i'd love to have the faith in myself to actually push my car to it's limits once i get it. From what everyone who's taken such a course says... it's the best $ you could possibly spend on your car.

#133376 - 09/01/2003 16:29 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: tanstaafl.]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Yay, I must be tops! I changed from 17 to 18" whels on my Eclipse (granted the tires changed as well) and there was NO QUESTION a change had been made. In fact, just in the ride quality, I had to check my tire pressures again, it felt like they must have been up to 100psi or something (but were correct at about 30/25). Steering was way snappier too, again there was no question - the car didn't pitch a bit and then turn, it just did it right off. Both are probbly related to the stiffer sidewalls on the 18" tires, but either way, it was a huge change. And I remember so, because it felt like something might be wrong with the car at first, until I got used to it. I recently switched back to the 17" wheels and tires for the winter, and right away everything felt kind of squishy compared to before.

#133377 - 09/01/2003 19:06 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

more pics from the autoshow.

God Muther F'n Damnit! Is that a SUNROOF!!?!!! ARRRRGGG!

Why the hell couldn't they put one on the '02?? I want a sunroof on mine!

#133378 - 09/01/2003 19:12 Re: 2004 Impreza Subaru WRX Sti announced [Re: jimhogan]
ithoughti
old hand

Oh please God, or Santa, or whoever, please bring me these wheels... (17 in. if possible, thanks)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >