Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#155732 - 17/04/2003 08:03 Lawsuits against McDonald's
Anonymous
Unregistered

#155733 - 17/04/2003 08:07 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish people would stop thinking they are entitled to jobs because of their disability, or ugliness, or skin color, etc.

Next thing you know, this ugly hoe is going to be suing Victoria's Secret because they won't let her model underwear. Just another illegitimate lawsuit by greedy people.

#155734 - 17/04/2003 08:16 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I wish people would stop thinking they are entitled to jobs because of their disability ...
Did you read the article about the birthmarked girl? She worked at that McDonalds more than anyone I think I've ever heard of. People had, essenitally, been promoted over her a lot. When questioned, they explicitly stated that it was because of the way you look.

While I understand where the McDonalds is coming from, in no way is she expecting a job because of the way she looks. She simply doesn't want to be refused the job for that reason alone.

In addition, she wants to be a manager. The managership should definitely not have any requirement on physical appearance, while I understand why front counter operation might. However, they're requiring that she operate the front counter to be considered for a managerial position, which means that they're making physical appearance a requirement for a position which has no such real requirement. I have the feeling that she would be fine if they would just say that she didn't need to have particualr expertise at that area of the store, and say that she needed further experience elsewhere in the store. Not to mention that they apparently told her that she would be provided with management opportunity, which is obviously what she was going for. Why else would you work at a McDonalds for over two years, especially at age 32?

I've got no defense for the fat guy, unless they told him to his face that he was too fat to stand behind a register and that's why they weren't hiring him.

#155735 - 17/04/2003 11:54 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I agree, these are more legitimate claims.

What pisses me off to no end are the other big lawsuits that were lodged against them. I'm still mad to this day that the woman who spilled the coffee on her lap got a dime, and does anyone know what happened with the suit about McD's making you fat? I haven't heard anything about it.

Those are the lawsuits that just shout "I want easy money and will find any stupid means to get it." Argh!

#155736 - 17/04/2003 11:58 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Before you go using your McDonalds coffee lawsuit as an example, read this.

Otherwise, I agree.

#155737 - 17/04/2003 12:10 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's a GREAT link, Bitt. Thanks.

#155738 - 17/04/2003 12:12 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: Dignan]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
anyone know what happened with the suit about McD's making you fat?

Dismissed

I was watching one of the morning news shows awhile back and they had Catherine Crier of CourTV (former prosecutor, I believe) and one of the people supporting the "fat case." Crier totally demolished this woman in support of the case, sort of ala Frank Zappa at the PMRC hearings. The best part was when she sarcastically said, "You know these damn high heels are killing my back. Do you want to start a case with me suing every shoe manufacturer, distributor and salesman in the world?" It was pretty funny... I believe the woman was trying to claim that the nutritional information panel implied it was nutritious for you and mislead people...
Then there were the interviews with the planitffs that didn't want their faces shown because of embarassment. Embarassment of being overweight or of being part of the frivolous lawsuit?

#155739 - 17/04/2003 12:43 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: davec]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Ha, that's great!

Thanks Bitt, that was informative. I wasn't aware of those facts.

The onlly question that I have as a result of that page is: why does McD's serve their coffee so much hotter? So you won't notice the taste?

#155740 - 17/04/2003 12:52 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

This is probably just conjecture, but, from http://www.osmond-riba.org/lis/essay_mcdonalds.htm:
Evidence showed that McDonalds served their coffee so hot to save money. This let them get away with a cheaper grade of coffee and cut down on the number of free refills they had to give away. McDonalds executives testified that they thought it would be cheaper to pay claims and worker's compensation benefits to people burned by their coffee versus making any of these changes.

#155741 - 17/04/2003 13:46 Re: Lawsuits against McDonald's [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
thanks Bitt... i learned about all that in one of my business law classes 4 or so years ago, and i used to carry the fact sheet around in my back pack because i was amazed how often that case came up and how outright WRONG everyone was about it. Goes to show how much we accept as blind fact without bothering to look into it.